Create Your Dream

The Story Hatchery was founded in 2009 to give children and adults a vibrant, interactive, and nourishing space to make the impossible possible. We give permission to the bold dreamers to act, to make change, to reach far and wide, to fall, to risk...


Monday, May 2, 2011

Personification--or giving weird objects eyes and a mouth!

Personification is giving human traits (qualities, feelings, action, or characteristics) to non-living objects (things, colors, qualities, or ideas).


To have the most fun with this, turn to the many objects sitting around you right now and imagine giving one of the objects a pair of eyes (or one eye) and a mouth.


...are you laughing yet? 


I just imagined a vase on my mantel with eyes and a mouth. It is a vase I have filled with sand and sticks--a minimalist arrangement I swear looks good! And now the vase is telling me in a British accent that I have no taste and the sticks are crude and he will not stand for one more scratch. "I am made for fresh flowers and the dishonor you have visited upon me...oh, I can't bear to think of how many years I am imprisoned to stand here like a yard waste bin full of the dead and discarded. Miss, how do you sleep at night?" 


Oh, the poor vase. I must get some fresh flowers! 


Check out this video of a wonderful character created from an object named Marcel. Try making your own short video personifying an object. 





No comments:

Post a Comment