Create Your Dream

The Story Hatchery was founded in 2009 to give children and adults a vibrant, interactive, and nourishing space to make the impossible possible. We give permission to the bold dreamers to act, to make change, to reach far and wide, to fall, to risk...


Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Student work: "Diary of: My Sister Rocks"


Diary of: My Sister Rocks
by
Eva Bey, age 8

May 13, 2000
            Today my sister Karly told me that Molly is going to try out for the soccer team. I know I shouldn’t be worried about her, but she has cerebral palsy, so she can’t run well. So I went to talk to Coach Winslow and he said, “She will get hurt.” I think I’ll go tomorrow to her physical therapy appointment.

May 14, 2000
            Today I went to Molly’s therapy thing. It was boring, but it helped her. Barely! So I am going to help her myself. When I got in the car to go too, Molly asked, “Why are you coming?” I just told her I wanted to see what happened there and I had nothing to do at home. Karly had friends over again. And Ron, my brother, was playing video games. And my homework? Well, I didn’t have any homework. Yippidy-do!

May 15, 2000
            Today I helped Molly. She was okay, but she wasn’t fast and she kept falling. But I’ll keep trying to help her.

May 16, 2000
            Today after church I helped Molly again. She wasn’t that much better. So I gave her homework: practice lifting your knees when you run. After dinner, she practiced kicking the ball.

May 17, 2000
            Today was try-outs. Molly did NOT make the team. It’s not fair. She tried so hard, and so did I. And now every time Molly wakes up, she cries. That’s why I’m writing at four o’clock in the morning. She is STILL crying.
            Okay, now she’s stopped. Maybe finally I can get some sleep.

May 18, 2000
            Ron got the most amazing idea. Molly, Ron, Karly, and me are going to make our own soccer team. In our own backyard! We practiced for a half hour and are going to every night. We play against our mom, dad, Aunt Betty, and Uncle Harry this Saturday. Karly made our team jerseys. I’m number 18, Karly’s 17, Ron’s 16, and Molly is 15. Our team is called the Panthers. Our team rocks, just like my sister, Molly!

The End

This story first appeared in The Story Hatchery Anthology last year. 
Our 2011 anthology will be coming out this summer, presenting the 
student work completed within 2010-2011. 

1 comment: