Create Your Dream

The Story Hatchery was founded in 2009 to give children and adults a vibrant, interactive, and nourishing space to make the impossible possible. We give permission to the bold dreamers to act, to make change, to reach far and wide, to fall, to risk...


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Student Work: "Postcard Stories"


Below are two "postcard" stories--a story you can fit on a postcard. This is a fun experiment to try to see if you can convey a vibrant world of rich detail, complex characters, and conflict in-between the written lines, or, in other words, through subtext. Story Hatchery student, Maggie Cox, does this exceptionally well. Enjoy! 


Postcard Stories

by

Maggie Cox, age 12


I
            A cloud of dust sprang up. Rubbing the grime out of my eyes, I reached for the naked bulb. Light flooded the attic. I walked softly so he wouldn't hear. A crash of glass sounded from below, followed by shouts. Forget that now, I told myself. I was safe with the books. 

II
            As the cold water rushed in my mouth, it flowed through the hole where I was missing a tooth. It was so refreshing. I thought if I could get enough water, I could wash away the bad taste my last foster family had left in my mind. I could wash away all the bad memories that I knew would always remain. 



2 comments:

  1. These kids are SO TALENTED. It blows my mind and makes me really happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An opportunity to illustrate that while both stories make a point, the first one does it so much more viscerally.

    ReplyDelete